- 50g butter
- 1 large onion, fi nely chopped
- 5ml ground cumin
- 100g biltong powder
- 1 Knorr Vegetable Stock Pot
- 500ml boiling water
- 250ml flour
- 500ml milk
- 380g (1 can) Nestlé Ideal Unsweetened Evaporated Milk
- 5ml fresh nutmeg
- 200g mature Cheddar, grated
- 50ml sherry
- 50g blue cheese, crumbled
- salt and pepper to taste
- extra biltong slices, to serve
1. Melt butter in a large pot until frothy and add onion. Fry until soft and translucent, then add cumin and biltong powder.
2. Dissolve Knorr Vegetable Stock Pot in 250ml of the boiling water and keep ready.
3. Add flour to the onion mixture and lower heat.
4. Slowly add water in measured quantities, stirring continuously and adding more water as the mixture thickens. Add the remaining 250ml boiling water and keep stirring.
5. Add milk in small quantities until it’s well incorporated and creamy. Grate nutmeg into the soup and add Nestlé Ideal Unsweetened Evaporated Milk.
6. Turn o the stove and add the cheese, stirring to melt. Once you’ve added the cheese, don’t boil the soup again, as it will split.
7. Add sherry and mix well before adding the crumbled blue cheese, leaving some for serving.
8. Season to taste, remembering that the biltong powder is already seasoned and the additional biltong and blue cheese that you’ll serve the soup with will add some saltiness.
9. Purée soup using a stick (or jug) blender for a smoother consistency, if preferred.
10. Serve with sliced biltong and crumbled blue cheese.