- 300g block firm tofu
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 300g rice noodles
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- juice of 1 lime
- 40g salted peanuts, roughly chopped, to serve
Recipe DirectionsPressing the tofu is a worthwhile step, as it gives it a firmer texture, which helps when frying.
1. Drain and dry tofu well with paper towel. Sit tofu block on a baking tray lined with paper towel. Cover tofu with more paper towel and another baking tray, then sit a heavy pot on top. Leave to press for 15 minutes. Cut tofu into 2,5cm cubes.
2. Heat half the oil in a large nonstick frying pan or wok over a high heat and fry tofu to brown on all sides (turning gently). Carefully lift on to a plate and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, cook rice noodles according to instructions on packaging, then drain and run under cold water to stop them cooking.
4. Return empty frying pan or wok to a high heat with remaining oil. Stir-fry red pepper for 1 minute, then stir in garlic, cooked noodles and soya and fish sauces to heat through. Carefully fold through tofu, spring onions and lime juice. Check seasoning. Serve immediately, sprinkled with peanuts.
EACH SERVING: About 2 020kJ, 21g protein, 15g fat (1g saturated), 64g carbohydrate (4g total sugars), 4g fibre.