- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus additional for rolling
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter or margarine, cut up
- 2 tbsp to 3 tbsp iced water
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 340g spring onions or trimmed shallots, finely chopped (1 3/4 cups)
- 1/8 tsp cayenne (ground red) pepper
- 5 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups full-cream milk
- 110g goat’s cheese, crumbled
- 3/4 cup chopped, seeded plum tomatoes
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- In a food processor with knife blade attached, blend flour, sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add butter or margarine; pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle in iced water, 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing after each addition, until large, moist crumbs just begin to form.
- Shape dough into disc and wrap in cling wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or overnight. (If overnight, remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before rolling.)
- Preheat oven to 200°C. On a lightly floured surface, with Tomato & Goat’s Cheese Quiche a floured rolling pin, roll dough into a 30cm round. Ease dough round into a deep 25cm (2-litre) quiche plate; gently press against bottom and up sides of plate without stretching. Trim edges of dough. Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Line quiche shell with foil and fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until dry to the touch. Remove foil and weights; bake for 10 to 15 minutes longer or until golden brown. Place crust on a baking tray.
- While crust bakes, heat oil on medium in a 30cm frying pan. Add onions, cayenne pepper and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs until blended. Whisk in milk until smooth. Stir in goat’s cheese, tomatoes, cooked onions and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Carefully pour mixture into hot crust.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes longer or until edges are set and centre jiggles slightly. Let it cool on a wire rack until warm or room temperature. Garnish with parsley.
Each Serving About 1 840kJ, 15g protein, 28g carbohydrate, 31g total fat (16g saturated), 2g fibre, 212mg cholesterol, 495mg sodium.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter