- 1 cup red or white quinoa, rinsed
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium shallots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 2 cans (800g each) whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- ¼ cup roasted, salted pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp snipped fresh chives
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
1. Cook quinoa according to instructions on label.
2. In a 4ℓ pot, heat butter and oil on medium until butter melts. Add shallots, garlic and fennel seeds. Cook for 4 to 6 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes and stock. Heat to simmering on high. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. With immersion or regular blender, purée mixture until smooth. Reheat soup if necessary.
3. In a medium bowl, combine cooked quinoa, pumpkin seeds, chives and chilli flakes. Serve soup topped with quinoa mixture.
EACH SERVING About 1 150kJ, 9g protein, 34g carbohydrate, 13g fat (5g saturated), 7g fibre.