Thuli, a product developer turned blogger, showcases Southern African food and more on www.mzansistylecuisine.co.za.
‘A milk tart, or melktert, is one of my favourite desserts. I wanted to create a version with a different flavour without losing that characteristic taste and mouthfeel of a milk tart.’
4 tbsp sugar
250ml cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
250ml full-cream milk
2 eggs, beaten
1 tbsp flour
1 tbsp cornflour
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
cinnamon, for sprinkling
1. In a food processor, cream the butter and sugar well. Add the egg and continue beating.
2. Add the remaining dry ingredients for the pastry and mix until a dough forms. Roll out pastry until it’s thin.
3. Cut out circles for eight individual round tart tins and press into the tins.
4. Bake at 180°C for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.
5. In a pan, mix the milk, sugar, eggs, flour, cornflour, cocoa powder and salt.
6. Whisk continuously over a medium heat.
7. When the mixture thickens, add the butter, vanilla essence and Amarula.
8. Pour into the cooked pastry shells and allow to cool in the fridge for 1 to 2 hours.
9. Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve with vanilla ice cream or cream.