- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 75g kale
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 750ml vegetable stock
- pinch of sugar
- 125g stale crusty bread, roughly chopped
- 400g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 40g Parmesan cheese, finely grated, plus extra to serve
- large handful parsley, roughly chopped
Recipe DirectionsBread is used to thicken this very hearty soup.
1. Heat oil in a large pot and gently fry onion and carrots for 5 minutes until softened. Add garlic and fry for 1 minute more.
2. Meanwhile, remove and discard woody stems from the kale and shred the leaves.
3. Add tomatoes, stock and kale to the pan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 10 minutes until kale is tender. Next add sugar, bread and cannellini beans, and simmer for a few minutes more, stirring occasionally, until bread is starting to break down. Stir through Parmesan and most of the parsley, and check seasoning.
4. Ladle into 4 warm soup bowls, sprinkle over remaining parsley, a drizzle of oil and some more Parmesan. Serve.
EACH SERVING: About 1 240kJ, 15g protein, 8g fat (3g saturated), 37g carbohydrate (13g total sugars), 11g fibre.