- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for garnish
- 450g carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1,9l vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 bunch Tuscan or curly kale, chopped
- 120g stale bread without crusts, torn into small pieces (about 4 cups)
- 2 cans (400g each) white (cannellini) beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (400g) chopped tomatoes
- a third of a cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
1. In a 6l pot, heat oil on medium. Add carrots and onion. Cook for 10 minutes or until vegetables are beginning to soften, stirring occasionally.
2. Add stock, kale, bread, beans and tomatoes. Heat to simmering on high. Reduce heat to maintain simmer. Cook for 20 minutes or until kale is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in Parmesan. To serve, garnish with additional olive oil and Parmesan, if desired.