Recipe IngredientsSubstitute any veggies in your fridge, using a variety of root vegetables, greens and herbs.
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 to 4 cloves garlic, not peeled
- 1 large potato, quartered
- 1 small bulb fennel, chopped - optional
- 3 parsnips, sliced - optional
- 3 stalks celery with leaves, sliced
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 120g mushrooms, sliced
- 10 parsley sprigs
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
- In a 6ℓ pot, combine onions, garlic, 1 cup water and a pinch of salt; heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook until onions are tender (about 15 minutes).
- Add potato, fennel (if using), parsnips (if using), celery, carrots, mushrooms, parsley, thyme, bay leaves, peppercorns and 12 cups water.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered (at least 1 hour 30 minutes).
- Taste and continue cooking if flavour is not concentrated enough. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Strain broth through a fine-mesh sieve into containers, pressing on solids with back of spoon to extract liquid.
- Cover and refrigerate to use within 3 days, or freeze for up to 4 months.
- Makes about 6 cups.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter