- 1 cup oats, uncooked
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup plus 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups blueberries
- ¼ cup almonds, blanched and chopped
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- Grind oats in blender. In a bowl, whisk oats, flours, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt and ¼ cup sugar. In a small bowl, whisk buttermilk, juice, oil, egg and vanilla. Stir into flour mixture; fold in blueberries.
- Combine nuts and remaining sugar. Spoon batter into pan; sprinkle with almond sugar. Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely.
Each Serving About 710kJ, 5g protein, 28g carbohydrate, 5g total fat (1g saturated), 3g fibre, 16mg cholesterol.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter