Whether you’re a top-class pastry chef or not, now at least you can boast about making the cake stand yourself! If you can bake a cake as well, it’s a bonus. This is a quick and easy do-it-yourself project. And please send us photos of your end product!
You will need:
- 3 old plates – a dinner plate, a side plate and a saucer
- 2 small glasses (e.g. sherry glasses), one a little bigger than the other
- colourless glue
- spray paint
Follow these steps:
- Make sure that the plates are clean and dry. Use a ruler or measuring tape to find the centre of each plate – mark it with a pencil or pen.
- Apply glue to the upper rim of the bigger glass. Glue the glass to the middle of the biggest plate (on the side the food would be placed).
- Now apply some glue to the bottom of the glass (which would now be pointing upwards) and glue it to the bottom of the side plate.
- Turn the saucer upside down on the work surface. Glue the smaller glass’ upper rim to the bottom of the saucer.
- Now glue the small glass’ “bottom” to the middle of the side plate.
- If your plates don’t have pretty motifs, use the spray paint to paint the whole cake stand the same colour. A matt silver or even an extravagant colour like bright pink might work.
Please note: Let the glue dry completely before using the cake stand.
Photo: Richard Burns