- ⅓ cup light mayonnaise
- ¼ cup loosely packed fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1 small clove garlic, chopped or crushed
- salt and pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, cut in half, thinly sliced
- 115g mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 470g lean beef mince
- 450g Gruyère cheese, grated
- 4 hamburger buns, toasted
- 4 leaves butter lettuce
- Prepare grill or braai for cooking on medium heat.
- In a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, parsley, garlic and ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil on medium-high. Add onion and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until it begins to soften, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms, water, sugar and ¼ teaspoon salt; cover and cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until mushrooms are tender, stirring from time to time.
- Shape beef into four 2cm-thick burgers. Lightly sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon each salt and freshly ground black pepper to season both sides.
- Grill or braai burgers for 7 minutes for medium or until cooked as desired, turning over once. Top each burger with ¼ cup onion mixture and 1 tablespoon cheese. Serve on buns with garlic mayonnaise and lettuce.
Each Serving: About 2 093kJ, 34g protein, 33g carbohydrate, 33g total fat (12g saturated), 2g fibre, 197mg cholesterol, 880mg sodium.