Brushing and flossing your teeth daily along with regular visits to your dentist are the keys to having a bright smile. Here are some more dental health tips to keep in mind:
- To prevent gum disease and to remove plaque, floss your teeth daily.
- You should be brushing your teeth for a minimum of 2 minutes twice daily.
- It is important to ask your dentist how often you need a check-up to avoid costly and more complex treatment.
- With age, the enamel on teeth becomes thinner and more transparent, and the inner layer, called dentin, looks darker. Consult your dentist or oral hygienist before purchasing any whitening products. Some over-the-counter teeth whitening products may contain ingredients that can damage your gums. So please be careful.
Most children don’t like going to the dentist, so teach them how to take care of their teeth so they can prevent cavities and avoid going to the dentist more than necessary.
- Limit their intake of sweet food and drinks.
- Play their favourite song for 2 minutes while they brush their teeth to get them used to brushing for a full 2 to 3 minutes.
- Buy floss in colourful shades and show them how it’s done. If your kids are still young, you should help them floss in order to prevent them from damaging heir gums.
Home teeth whitening
Most dentist say baking soda is safe to use and it’s said to deliver results quite quickly. Dip a damp toothbrush in some baking soda and brush your teeth with it. Rinse afterwards and then brush your teeth with toothpaste.
Foods that stain teeth
Certain foods stain teeth more than others.
Try to avoid: coffee, red wine, tomato sauce, balsamic vinegar, beetroot, blueberries and curry.