A dry mouth is usually an indication of an underlying problem. It occurs when the salivary glands are not producing enough saliva to keep the mouth as moist as it should be. This can be caused by dehydration, a reaction to certain medication, immune diseases, ageing, cancer therapy, stress and smoking, among other things. The only permanent way to cure a dry mouth is to treat its cause. If your dry mouth is the result of medication, your doctor might change your prescription or your dosage. Drying irritates the soft tissues in the mouth, which can make them inflamed and more susceptible to infection. Without the cleansing effects of saliva, tooth decay and other oral-health issues become much more common.
Five tips to help prevent dry mouth:
- Avoid the excessive consumption of drinks with caffeine, such as coffee, tea, and some cooldrinks.
- Chew sugarless gum or suck on sugarless hard sweets to stimulate saliva flow. Citrus-, cinnamon- or mint-flavoured sweets are good choices.
- Cut down on spicy or salty foods, which may cause pain in a dry mouth.
- Use a humidifier at night.
- Try Fithealth’s Dry Mouth Capsules and Dry Mouth Spray. The Dry Mouth Capsules tackle the problem at its root by stimulating the salivary glands to produce more saliva, while the Dry Mouth Spray provides moisture and immediate, on-the-go relief from dry-mouth discomfort.
Available from pharmacies and health shops. Find it online at www.fithealth.co.za.