- Some gentle exercise can be effective. Though this seems counterintuitive, rest may actually make things worse.
- Try taking the first dose of over-the-counter pain relief as soon as your pain begins, or as soon as the bleeding starts, whichever comes first. Some doctors advise starting the tablets the day before your period is due.
- Hot-water bottles or warm towels on the abdomen have a calming effect.
- Treat any stress you may be experiencing: it can make the pain worse.
- A warm bath may bring relief.
- If you have severe pains, go to your doctor, who may arrange for you to take further tests.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter