If you’ve just eaten grapefruit or sipped a glass of orange juice, stay away from your toothbrush. Citrussy foods and beverages leave acid on your teeth, and ‘brushing immediately after eating or drinking them rubs the acid further in and can erode the enamel,’ says dentist Dr Connie White.
When enamel – teeth’s protective outer coating – wears away, the softer dentine layer underneath is exposed, leaving you vulnerable to tooth sensitivity and cavities. Plus, ‘once enamel is gone, it’s gone. It doesn’t grow back,’ warns White, who suggests that you delay brushing a full hour after a citrussy meal or snack. Other acidic foods that can harm your teeth: fruit juice, cool drinks, sports drinks and wine.