You’ve given the kitchen counter a final swipe and you look around your newly cleaned house and give a sigh of relief that the cleaning is finally over. But are you sure you’ve done as good a job as you think you have?
‘When we clean our homes we tend to stick to the same routines – sweep, wipe, vacuum – but by doing so we never know if we are actually cleaning our home or simply giving it a wipe-down,’ says Shakil Ahmed, brand manager of Chemico.
Cleaning our homes is something not many of us look forward to, and once we’ve started the end never seems in sight. Many places are therefore overlooked or we think that simply giving things a quick wipe is good enough.
Ahmed highlights five mistakes most people make when cleaning their homes:
- Overlooking door handles. This doesn’t only include the handles on your main doors, but also your fridge handle, microwave handle, oven handle, cabinet handles and so on. You and your family touch these handles more than once a day, and therefore germs spread easily. Use Chemico’s award-winning Liqui Cleen, available in a variety of fragrances, when cleaning your handles to ensure they are kept germ-free.
- Cleaning your floors first. Focus on countertops, your walls and anything else before you get to the floors. It’s always better to clean the floors last, as crumbs and other things may drop onto the floor while you’re cleaning, and you can make the floors dirty while you’re walking up and down during the cleaning process.
- Forgetting to clean your cleaning tools. Your mop, your swabs and your vacuum cleaner work pretty hard for you, and therefore you need to look after them. Simply wiping them down or rinsing them in water doesn’t rid them of the grime collected during cleaning. Make sure you give them a good wash and soak to avoid cleaning your home with dirty items.
- Cleaning your windows while the sun is shining. This isn’t a good idea, as your cleaning product will dry before you get the chance to wipe it, which will result in streaks on the windows. The best time to wash windows is later in the day when the sun is low, or when it’s overcast.
- Ignoring the drain. Germ and bacteria buildup occurs right under the plughole and if you don’t include this in your cleaning routine it can result in germs lurking under your sink. By using Chemico Drain Cleen you will be assured that your drains are clean and germ-free.