From nifty gift wrapping ideas to home-made treats for your guests, these doable DIY projects will put you and your family in a fabulously festive mood.
Create a ‘to dye for’ summer table by making your own watercolour napkins – in just five minutes:
1. Soak a plain white cotton napkin in water (or run it under the tap), wring out any excess and lay on a covered surface.
2. Starting at the bottom, brush on fabric paint. Add more water, a few tablespoons at a time, to dilute the paint as you move up.
3. Hang and allow to dry overnight.
4. Iron fabric to set paint.
Make use of old and blown bulbs by transforming them into beautiful baubles for Christmas:
1. Paint with cold glue and dust with glitter.
2. Thread and hang them from the tree.
3. They’ll also look great in a glass vase.
Make a summer snowman for Christmas:
Create a bit of a white-Christmas feel with this crafty snowman:
1. Stack three white pots on top of one another, upside down.
2. Paint a smiley face on the top pot.
3. Dress with a hat and scarf, or whatever you like.
Create some Christmas magic in just 10 minutes:
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
3. Crush some hard sucking sweets. (Try Beacon Sparkles.)
4. Place a metal cookie cutter on the baking paper and fill with the crushed sweets.
5. Place in the oven for 10 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven, let them cool for 10 minutes and add them to your snack table.
Pompom gift topper:
This old-school craft is so cool to use at Christmas time!
1. Once your gifts are wrapped, choose one or two different hues of wool. (Scraps of ribbon could also work.)
2. Wind wool or ribbon around a piece of card until it’s nice and bulky.
3. Slide it off the card, tie in the middle and snip the ends open.
4. Trim and fluff your pompom.
5. Play with scale – an oversized pompom looks great on a small gift.