If you are renting your house on Airbnb or privately while you’re away, here are a few tips on how to prepare it for short-term renters.
1. Start by donating, throwing away or selling as many unwanted or unnecessary items as possible.
2. Clean your home – obviously – before your guests arrive. Your home should be in good order for them. Pay close attention to the bathroom and the kitchen, as these areas tend to collect a lot of grease and grime.
3. Fix any hazards that you may have been neglecting for a while. You want to make sure that your home is safe and that there are no bare electrical wires or broken door hinges and so on.
4. Stock up on crates of varying sizes – large ones for clothes and linen you don’t want used, smaller ones for emptying the contents of your bedside table, dressing table and bathroom drawers into.
5. To save yourself the schlep of emptying all your cupboards, try to empty just one and move all your clothes into another. No lock? Cable ties work well tied through handles.
7. It’s worth supplying a full range of cleaning products to inspire your guests to clean up after themselves!
8. Don’t forget you’ll need to empty your fridge and provide plenty of tableware. Lock away precious wedding crystal and other loved items.
9. It’s a great idea to leave a note with detailed instructions. Don’t forget to add the necessary contact details for emergencies, as well as where they can find a first-aid kit or fire hydrant.