If you are renting your house on Airbnb or privately while you’re away, here are a few tips on how to prepare it for short-term renters.
- Start by donating, throwing away or selling as many unwanted or unnecessary items as possible.
- Clean your home – obviously – before your guests arrive. Your home should be in good order for them. Pay close attention to the bathroom and the kitchen, as these areas tend to collect a lot of grease and grime.
- Fix any hazards that you may have been neglecting for a while. You want to make sure that your home is safe and that there are no bare electrical wires or broken door hinges and so on.
- Stock up on crates of varying sizes – large ones for clothes and linen you don’t want used, smaller ones for emptying the contents of your bedside table, dressing table and bathroom drawers into.
- To save yourself the schlep of emptying all your cupboards, try to empty just one and move all your clothes into another. No lock? Cable ties work well tied through handles.
- Do a linen audit – you’ll need two sets per bed. Also, wash pillows and stock up on mattress protectors. (We recommend Protect-A-Bed mattress protectors.)
- It’s worth supplying a full range of cleaning products to inspire your guests to clean up after themselves!
- Don’t forget you’ll need to empty your fridge and provide plenty of tableware. Lock away precious wedding crystal and other loved items.
- It’s a great idea to leave a note with detailed instructions. Don’t forget to add the necessary contact details for emergencies, as well as where they can find a first-aid kit or fire hydrant.