How much fibre does my child need?
- Children between the ages of four and eight years should get 25g of fibre a day.
- Older boys aged nine to 13 should get 31g and teen boys from 14 to 18 years old should get 38g per day.
- Girls older than eight and teen girls should get 26g of fibre a day.
How can I ensure they eat more fibre on a daily basis?
- Choose whole-wheat or high-fibre white bread for sandwiches.
- Use whole-wheat pita pockets or tortillas wraps for other lunch snacks.
- Include fresh or dried fruit (apricots, raisins, cranberries, etc) every day.
- Leave the edible skin on fruit and vegetables.
- For a snack pack a cup of air-popped popcorn or a cup of home-made trail mix in a plastic bag. Click here for a quick and easy trail-mix recipe.)
Stats source: Kids Health