Snowflake has been a trusted ingredient in kitchens for more than 130 years. Made with only the best ingredients, Snowflake Self Raising Wheat Flour has a special raising agent added to it that gives the flour its lightness and ensures that cakes turn out fresh and fluffy. It’s suitable for quick-mix and baked goods like scones, waffles, cakes and biscuits.
Spoil your mom with a delicious red-velvet cake, courtesy of Snowflake
MOM’S MELT-IN-YOUR-MOUTH RED-VELVET CAKE
- 11⁄4 cups Snowflake Self Raising Flour 3⁄4 cup sugar 1⁄2 tsp bicarbonate of soda 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil 1⁄2 cup buttermilk 1 egg
- 1 tbsp red food colouring 1⁄2 tsp white vinegar 1 tsp vanilla
For the icing
- 1 cup double cream
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar, sifted
1. Sift together the flour, sugar, bicarbonate of soda, salt and cocoa powder, and mix well. 2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, buttermilk, egg, food colouring, vinegar and vanilla.
3. While mixing at medium speed, gradually add dry mixture to wet mixture until just combined.
4. Bake at 180°C for 30 to 40 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
5. To make the icing: With an electric mixer on medium speed, whisk cream until stiff peaks form. In another bowl, whisk together mascarpone and icing sugar until smooth. Gently fold whipped cream into mascarpone mixture until completely incorporated.
6. Leave the cake to cool completely before icing.