Monkey Mondays at The Orphanage Cocktail Emporium
Unconventional whisky brand Monkey Shoulder presents BeGone Monday Blues every Monday at The Orphanage Cocktail Emporium. This is certainly one of the best bars in the Mother City at the moment, where award-winning mixologists make artisan cocktails, elixirs and intoxications, and the kitchen prepares simple, seasonal fare. The interior is quirky but comfortable – look out for the antique keys adorning the ceiling in the front ‘parlour’.
The leading monkey man in SA, Esoteric Alchemist Dom Walsh, will be mixing up complimentary Monkey Shoulder cocktails so customers can get acquainted with this fantastically smooth new whisky.
And while you’re sipping on your sublime cocktail, you can soak up the soulful sounds and deep bass lines of the ever-talented Ann Jangle, with her darker shades of the blues and electrifying soulful beats. So order yourself a Cauli-fritter or an Octopus Crunch for dinner, and wash them Monday blues away.
Try: The Shiel, with Monkey Shoulder, home-made apple purée, aromatic bitters and lemon juice.
Try: The Scotch Cross, with Monkey Shoulder, walnut bitters and star-anise syrup.
- When: Monday evenings from 3 March until 28 April
- Where: 227 Bree St
- Contact: 012 424 2004, PleaseSir@TheOrphanage.co.za
- Info: www.theorphanage.co.za
Half-price at Hudson’s – The Burger Joint
This popular post-work hangout has a committed following owing to its ongoing late-afternoon specials. Swing by for half-price cocktails, draughts and appetisers and you’ll soon be a regular yourself.
Try: the mojitos, which come in granadilla, berry and the original lime and mint.
Try: the Mosco Mule; it’s sure to kick work stress away.
- When: 4.30pm to 6.30pm Monday to Friday
- Where: Cnr Portswood and Somerset Rd Green Point | 69a Kloof St, Gardens | Shop 1A, 25 Protea Rd, Claremont
- Contact: Green Point 021 433 1496 | Gardens 021 426 5974 | Claremont 021 674 5152 | email@example.com
- Info: www.theburgerjoint.co.za
Ladies Night at Qba Caffe & Cocktail Lounge
Sorry gents, this one is for the ladies. Girls, head to Qba on Thursdays and enjoy half-price cocktails, any time of the day.
Try: the various flavours of daiquiris, including strawberry, cherry, green banana and lemon pie.
- When: All day, Thursdays
- Where: Shop u24, Stoneridge Centre, 1 Stoneridge Drive, Greenstone Park, Cnr Modderfontein & Hereford Rd, Edenvale
- Contact: 011 452 1039, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Info: www.qbacaffe.co.za
HersDay at Billy The Bum’s Restaurant & Cocktail Bar
Every Thursday at Billy The Bum’s in Durban is HersDay, ladies’ night. HersDay includes a special menu with reduced prices, just for those ladies dining with ladies. The menu contains all Billy’s favourites, just in slightly smaller portions. Also, HersDay Cocktails are R15 all night. And, to top it all off, ladies get complimentary chocolate or peppermint vodka to help get those dancing shoes tapping.
Also at Billy’s, you can top up on party-with-two cocktails for the price of one from 8pm to 10pm every Wednesday and Friday nights.
Try: the classic mint-and-lime mojito.
Try: a frozen margarita.
- When: Thursdays (also Wednesdays and Fridays)
- Where: 504 Windermere Rd, Morningside
- Contact: 031 303 1988
- Info: http://billythebums.co.za