If you haven’t already made a fruit cake for Christmas, don’t delay! Here’s a delicious recipe for you to try
Dark Rum Fruit cake
125ml strong black coffee
2 x 500g Moir’s Glacé Fruit Cake Mix
5ml Moir’s Bicarbonate of Soda
2 large eggs, beaten
5ml Moir’s Vanilla Essence
200g Moir’s Red Glacé Cherries and 200g Moir’s Green Glacé Cherries. Cut in half’s & quarters
10ml Moir’s Baking Powder
500ml Sasko Cake Flour
5ml mixed spice
2,5 ml salt
5ml ground ginger
Moir’s Glacé Cherries or Moir’s Maraschino Cherries
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Line a 24cm round cake tin with aluminium foil (shiny side towards the inside of the tin), sprayed with Spray and Cook.
- Melt butter with the coffee and sugar, and pour over fruit-cake mix.
- Add bicarbonate of soda and stir. Microwave for 2 minutes on high and cool completely.
- Add rum, beaten eggs and vanilla essence, and mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon.
- Add chopped dates and cherries.
- 6. Add sifted dry ingredients (Baking Powder, Cake Flour, mixed spice and salt), little by little, in order to cover every piece of fruit.
- Add the rest of the dry ingredients and mix well. Fill the cake pan.
- Cover the cake with a layer of aluminium foil, shiny side up, also sprayed with Spray and Cook.
- Bake for approximately 2,5 hours. Remove top layer of foil and bake for another 15 minutes. Let the cake cool for 20 minutes.
- Heat the sauce ingredients (do not boil) and pour over the cake after the cake has cooled for 20 minutes. Leave to cool completely.
- Decorate with Moir’s Glacé Cherries or Moir’s Maraschino Cherries.