First up, classic Belgian waffles!
2 cups cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
4 large eggs, separated
2 tbsp sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
2 cups milk
nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat a waffle iron.
- In 1 medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a second bowl, use a wooden spoon to beat together the egg yolks and sugar until sugar is completely dissolved and eggs have turned a pale yellow.
- Add the vanilla extract, melted butter and milk to the eggs and whisk to combine.
- Combine the egg-milk mixture with the flour mixture and whisk until just blended. Don’t overmix.
- In a third bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form, about 1 minute.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the waffle batter.
- Don’t overmix. Coat the waffle iron with nonstick cooking spray and pour enough batter into the iron to just cover the waffle grid. Close and cook as per manufacturer’s instructions until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Serve immediately.
Tuck into this delicious Algerian Saffron & Raisin Couscous with Fresh Mint.
2 cups water
½ tsp saffron
1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
½ tsp salt
2 cups couscous
¼ cup raisins
3 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- In a saucepan, bring the 2 cups of water to the boil and add the saffron.
- Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Return the pan to the heat, bring the mixture to the boil, then mix in the olive oil, salt, couscous and raisins.
- Remove from the heat, cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Top with the fresh mint.