Life should taste great – this belief is at the heart of everything Sasko does. Now you can add delicious Sasko Oats & Honey Flavoured White Bread, which is part of the Sasko Plus range, to your Christmas stuffing.
Tickle your taste buds this festive season by trying the Sasko Christmas Stuffing recipe below. You can also watch the video.
5 slices Sasko Low GI Dumpy Oats & Honey Flavoured White Bread
2 onions, chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
30g sage or parsley, or a mixture of the two, washed and chopped
70g dried cranberries
½ cup chicken or vegetable stock
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a medium-sized ovenproof dish.
2. Cut the bread into small cubes and place into a bowl. Stir together the stock and egg.
3. Melt the butter in a frying pan over medium heat and add the onions.
4. Season with salt and pepper, and fry the onions until soft and just starting to brown (about 6-8 minutes).
5. Add the herbs and stir through.
6. Pour the mixture over the bread cubes, add the cranberries and stock and stir well to combine.
7. Stuff the chicken with the stuffing. (See Tip 1.)
8. Transfer the chicken to the ovenproof dish, season, cover and roast in the oven for 1½ hours.
Tip 1: Do not overstuff the chicken as it will expand as it absorbs some of the juices from the bird. Bake any extra stuffing separately.
Tip 2: The cranberries can be replaced with 150g chopped bacon or ⅓ cup pine nuts, or a mixture of both.
Tip 3: If you don’t have ready-made stock, use ½ a stock cube dissolved in ½ a cup of warm water instead. (The water must not be hot, otherwise it will cook the egg when it is added.)