If you’ve got friends coming for tea and would love to make something but don’t see yourself as much of a baker, we’ve got the perfect recipe for you. It’s easy and flop-proof, plus the secret ingredient of First Choice Velvet Dairy Dessert adds an extra-special, extra-tasty twist.
SPONGE CAKE WITH A CREAMY VELVET TOPPING
- 175g margarine or softened butter, plus extra to grease
- 175g castor sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 175g self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 250ml First Choice Long life cream
- 75ml First Choice Velvet Dairy Dessert in Chocolate Flavoured, Vanilla Flavoured, Butterscotch Flavoured or Strawberry Flavoured
- Heat the oven to 180°C. Lightly grease an 18cm round cake tin with a little butter or margarine and cut a piece of greaseproof paper or nonstick baking paper to fit the base of the tin.
- Put all the ingredients except the First Choice Long Life Cream and First Choice Velvet Dairy Dessert in a large mixing bowl and beat with a wooden spoon or a hand-held mixer for 1 minute or until just combined. It’s important not to beat the batter too much – just long enough to make it smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the tin, smooth the top and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for about 45 to 50 minutes. The cake is cooked when it looks well risen and golden; the top should spring back when lightly touched with a fingertip. Another test is to insert a skewer into the centre of the cake – it should come out clean.
- Let the cake sit in the tin for 5 minutes, then gently run a knife around the edge and turn the cake out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Now make the cream topping: Beat the First Choice Long Life Cream in a bowl on high for 5 minutes or until it creates peaks.
- Pour the First Choice Velvet Dairy Dessert into a separate bowl.
- Gently add the whipped cream to the First Choice Velvet Dairy Dessert and fold in.
- Chill and serve over the sponge cake.