Whip up this great Custard Brûlée and invite some friends over for coffee and a delicious sweet treat.
Step 1: The Brûlée
450ml First Choice Vanilla Flavoured Custard
50ml First Choice Cream
30ml First Choice Full Cream Long Life Milk or First Choice Full Cream Fresh Milk
2 egg yolks
5ml castor sugar
- Heat the custard and cream in a pot on the stove on a low heat.
- In a bowl, mix the cornflour with the milk and add this to the mixture on the stove.
- Stir well, then remove it from the heat.
- In a separate bowl, mix the egg yolks and castor sugar well and add to the custard mixture.
- Return the mixture to the heat.
- Continue stirring until mixture boils and thickens.
Step 2: The Pastry
This pastry is used to make delicate sweet tarts. It can be frozen for up to 3 months. Makes one flan case or 12 medium tartlet cases.
250ml cake flour
65ml castor sugar
2 egg yolks
2ml vanilla essence
- Sift flour and salt together.
- Add castor sugar and rub in butter with fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add egg yolks and vanilla essence, and work into a firm dough. Knead pastry well until smooth.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough to a thickness of 3mm. Line a greased, 24cm loose-bottomed flan tin.
- Cover with clingwrap; refrigerate for 1 hour. Prick base and bake blind in a preheated oven at 190°C for 10 minutes.
- Remove paper and beans, then bake for a further 5 minutes until pastry is golden brown.
- Allow to cool in pan before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Tip: The food processor is ideal for making this pastry, as it needs to be worked thoroughly into a very fine and crisp pastry.
Step 3: Assembling the Custard Brûlée
- Spoon brûlée mixture into tart base/bases.
- Sprinkle a layer of castor sugar on each tart.
- Caramelise the sugar with a blowtorch before serving.
Its creamy texture and delicious vanilla flavour make First Choice Custard a favourite instant treat that can be enjoyed on its own, poured over pudding or used as an ingredient in baking.
First Choice Custard is free from preservatives, MSG and tartrazine, and is available in a range of convenient sizes to suit your every custard need!
Until 3 September 2017, buy any First Choice Custard and stand a chance to WIN 1 of 13 R5 000 weekly cash prizes or 1 of 3 R15 000 grand cash prizes!
How to enter:
- Buy any First Choice Custard between 5 June 2017 and 3 September 2017.
- Retain your till slips as proof of purchase. (Winners will not be eligible for a prize without proof of purchase.) Only the original unique till slips for your purchases, dated and timed before your entry date and time, and clearly displaying the qualifying products, will be accepted. The slips are not to be written on or tampered with in any way.
- Dial *120*5354# and follow the prompts. USSD costs 20 cents per 20 seconds.
- Entries are capped at a maximum of three entries per product, per cellular number, per day. Daily repeat entries that exceed three entries from the same cellular number are therefore only permitted for new purchases of a different qualifying product and different barcode submission. If more than three entries per product per day are received, the participant will receive an automated response to confirm that the entry has not been accepted.
PHOTO: First Choice