From nifty giftwrapping ideas to home-made treats for your guests, these doable DIY projects will put you and your family in a fabulously festive mood.
Create a ‘to dye for’ summer table by making your own watercolour napkins – in just five minutes.
- Soak a plain white cotton napkin in water (or run it under the tap), wring out any excess and lay on a covered surface.
- Starting at the bottom, brush on fabric paint. Add more water, a few tablespoons at a time, to dilute the paint as you move up.
- Hang and allow to dry overnight.
- Iron fabric to set paint.
Make use of old and blown bulbs by transforming them into beautiful baubles for Christmas.
- Paint with cold glue and dust with glitter.
- Thread and hang them from the tree.
- They’ll also look great in a glass vase.
MAKE A SUMMER SNOWMAN FOR CHRISTMAS
Create a bit of a white-Christmas feel with this crafty snowman.
- Stack three white pots on top of one another, upside down.
- Paint a smiley face on the top pot.
- Dress with a hat and scarf, or whatever you like.
Create some Christmas magic in just 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Crush some hard sucking sweets. (Try Beacon Sparkles.)
- Place a metal cookie cutter on the baking paper and fill with the crushed sweets.
- Place in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, let them cool for 10 minutes and add them to your snack table.
POMPOM GIFT TOPPER
This old-school craft is so cool to use at Christmas time!
- Once your gifts are wrapped, choose one or two different hues of wool. (Scraps of ribbon could also work.)
- Wind wool or ribbon around a piece of card until it’s nice and bulky.
- Slide it off the card, tie in the middle and snip the ends open.
- Trim and fluff your pompom.
- Play with scale – an oversized pompom looks great on a small gift.