What’s more Aussie than a ‘barbie’?
Try this delicious spiced smoky braaied chicken recipe by Chef Ben O’Donoghue.
2 garlic cloves, peeled
finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsp good-quality curry powder
a pinch of chilli flakes
3 tbsp olive oil
12 chicken thighs, bone in, skin on
2 large bunches each rosemary and thyme
2 branches fresh bay leaves
- To make the marinade: smash the garlic with a little salt using a pestle and mortar. Add the lemon zest and juice, curry powder, chilli, oil and a good grinding of black pepper. Mix to a paste. This can be done in a mini food processor.
- Toss the chicken in the marinade and set aside while you light the braai.
- When the braai’s hot, lay the bunches of herbs on the grid and put the chicken, skin side up, on top.
- Close the lid, if your braai has one, and cook the chicken on the smouldering herbs for about 10 minutes or until the meat starts to colour.
- Turn the chicken and continue to cook for a further 20 to 30 minutes, turning as necessary, until it is slightly charred from the burnt herbs and cooked through to the bone. Serves 6.
Netherlands and South Africa share a great meal – lekker frikkadel!
Try our GH pork-and-lemongrass meatballs tonight: