On average, people get one interruption every eight minutes while at work – most of them lasting five minutes. That adds up to half the working day!
Try these tips:
- When people ask if you can spare a couple of minutes, be polite but firm in your reply. If you’re busy, ask if their business can wait.
- If it’s your boss, explain what you’re doing and ask if their query is more important.
- Close your door, if you’re lucky enough to have one.
- Do not ask unexpected visitors to sit down or offer them coffee – you’re sending the message that it’s okay to stay.
- Take note of those who are time-wasters and those who come with acceptable or sensible interruptions.