- 450g hake fillets, cut into chunks
- 1/3 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup panko
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup salted almonds
- 5 tbsp each sherry vinegar and olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup roasted red peppers
- In a food processor, pulse 450g hake fillets, cut into chunks; 1/3 cup packed fresh basil leaves; 3 cloves garlic, crushed; 1/2 tsp smoked paprika; and 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper until hake is finely chopped, stirring occasionally.
- Form into 8 patties; dip each into 1 large egg, beaten, and 1 cup panko, patting to adhere.
- In a 30cm frying pan, heat 2 tbsp vegetable oil on medium; fry fishcakes for 3 minutes per side or until deep golden brown.
- In a blender, purée 1/3 cup salted almonds, 5 tbsp each sherry vinegar and olive oil, and 1/4 tsp salt until smooth.
- Add 1/3 cup roasted red peppers; pulse until almost smooth.
- Serve fishcakes with vinaigrette and salad greens. Serves 4.
EACH SERVING About 1 880kJ, 24g protein, 21g carbohydrate, 30g fat (4g saturated), 3g fibre, 470mg sodium.
Q: ‘IS IT OKAY TO BAKE INSTEAD OF FRY THESE?’
They won’t get quite as crisp or brown, but yes, you can spray the tops and bottoms with cooking spray and bake them at 230°C for 15 minutes.