- 2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 4 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 whole chicken (1,8 to 2,3kg), patted dry
ROASTED ONION & RADISHES
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch radishes, trimmed and quartered
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- In a bowl, mash zest, garlic, thyme, 2 tbsp butter and ½ tsp each salt and pepper until combined. With fingers, gently separate skin from breast and thighs of chicken. Place butter mixture under skin; spread evenly. Tie drumsticks together and tuck wings behind breast.
- Place chicken on a rack fitted into a medium roasting pan. Arrange onion and radishes around chicken. Melt remaining 2 tbsp butter; brush all over chicken, then sprinkle with ½ tsp each salt and pepper. Pour ¼ cup water into bottom of roasting pan.
- Roast chicken for 50 minutes. Reset oven temperature to 220°C; roast, checking to make sure water has not completely evaporated (add another ¼ cup if necessary), for 15 to 20 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 70°C.
- Let chicken rest for at least 15 minutes before carving. Meanwhile use the roasted onion & radishes to prepare panzanella.
- EACH SERVING: Chicken only, about 1 740kJ, 40g protein, 1g carbohydrate, 27g fat (10g saturated), 345mg sodium.